Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Emergency? Call 9-1-1

Non-Emergency? Call 1 (866) 876-5423

Collision Reporting

Decrease Text Size Default Text Size Increase Text Size |
Print Link

Officer looking at damaged vehicle

Being involved in a collision can be confusing and upsetting to all parties involved. Knowing what to do can help alleviate some of the stress. 

You should contact police immediately if your collision involves:  

  • Danger to motorists at the scene of the collision
  • Personal injury
  • Any criminal activity, such as impaired driving or stolen vehicles
  • A government vehicle of any kind
  • A vehicle which is transporting dangerous goods
  • Damage to third-party property, such as a parked car where the owner is not at the scene
  • Damage to private, municipal or highway property
  • A pedestrian or cyclist
  • An uncooperative driver

Additionally, if damage to your vehicle appears to exceed $2,000, you should contact police. Under the Highway Traffic Act, the duty to report exists for any collisions where the damage exceeds $2,000 combined. Furthermore, regardless of the nature of the accident, law dictates that drivers must provide information to one another. 

If your collision occurred in Richmond Hill, Markham or Vaughan - and providing your collision does not involve any of the above - you have to option to report the incident at the Collision Reporting Centre, found at the Community Resource Centre in Richmond Hill.