Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Emergency? Call 9-1-1

Non-Emergency? Call 1 (866) 876-5423

Safe and Secure Gun Program

Decrease Text Size Default Text Size Increase Text Size |
Print Link

The York Regional Police Safe & Secure Gun Program provides a simple, responsible method to dispose of unwanted firearms and ammunition. Safe & Secure is a resource for citizens who have come into possession of firearms and do not wish to keep it or may not legally be able to keep it.

Safe & Secure is a simple method of reducing the number of potential firearms available in the community and reducing the potential harm from unregulated firearms. A firearm has the potential of falling into the wrong hands such as a child, who may discover an improperly stored or unwanted firearm or it could end up in the hands of criminals. 

How do I give a firearm to the Safe & Secure Gun Program?

If you have come into possession of a firearm that you want to surrender the process is very simple and straightforward.

  • Do not take a firearm to your local police station
  • Contact our non-emergency number at 1-866-876-5423 and explain to the call taker that you want to surrender a gun
  • Police will attend your residence and take the firearm into their possession. You will be issued a property receipt
  • The firearm will be submitted for destruction
  • If you find a firearm, do not touch it and contact the police immediately

Do I have to surrender an inherited firearm?

The executor of an estate has several options available to them in regards to an inherited firearm. Contact the Royal Canadian Mounted Police at 1-800-731-4000 for more information.

  • You can apply for a licence through the RCMP
  • There's an official transfer process that allows the sale or transfer of a firearm to a museum, business or individual with a licence for that particular type of firearm. Call the above number for more information
  • Have the firearm permanently deactivated by a gunsmith. Contact the Chief Firearms Office at the number above for more information
  • Global Affairs Cananada can provide information on export permit requirements at 1-800-267-8376

For more information on the Canadian Firearms Program and information on safely storing, transporting and displaying firearms, visit